Friday, April 9, 2010

I don't want to be a mom so much anymore.

So I've been thinking a lot about my full time job as a mom, lately. Then after watching conference something hit me. So, I have a little experiment I want to try with you.

Everyone close your eyes...okay, wait. That won't work cause you can't read the screen. Let's try again.

I want you to think of the word "mom", what do you picture? Close your eyes for a second if you need to visualize it.

Good... Part two...

Now, I want you to think of the word "Mother". Are there different things that come into your head, just by altering the word?

Hmmm.

During conference they talked a lot about Mothers. Never did they say the word "mom". I thought that was interesting. I thought about how inspired I was after conference to be a better mother.

Let me tell you how the experiment worked on me when I tried it on myself...and Snowman.
When I think of "mom", I think of carpool, cooking dinner, homework, laundry, doing hair, cleaning house, volunteering at school, grocery shopping, etc. It's a busy word to me. I think of juggling hectic schedules. I think of cramming as much as I can into as little time as possible so I can get more stuff done in the long run. I think staring at the clock and waiting for the sun to set so I can put my kids to bed and be done with them for the day. If I really focus on it and start to over think it, it also makes me feel tired, unappreciated and stressed.

What does the word "Mother" make me think of. I think of snuggling in chair to read a story. I think of holding my angels as they are sleeping in my arms and softly whispering a primary tune in their ears. I think of laying with my older girls in the grass with the warm sun kissing our skin and talking about matters of the heart. I think of singing silly songs and building forts in the family room. I think of baking cookies and letting them eat more dough then cookies, just because I want to see them smile. I think of the sound of my kids giggling as I give them extra time in a bubble bath. It makes me think about time in a different way, slowing it down and savoring the moments with my children. The word mother is relaxed and slower. It is peaceful as it roles off your tongue. It makes me feel more closely associated to my divine role as a Daughter of God and what a great and beautiful responsibility Heavenly Father gave me by blessing me with children.

I don't want to be MOM so much anymore. I have pretty much mastered that role anyway. I am going to focus more on being a MOTHER. Yes, I think I would rather be a good Mother.

2 comments:

  1. good point. conference was inspiring, but i was fighting discouragement at the same time. it's hard enough with out such high expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and well written! Every job, occupation or avocation has it's tough parts, but there is always joy to be found and good things to learn. Mom vs Mother is a good thing to learn early.

    ReplyDelete